Hipster gin makers evacuated their distillery after accidentally making MUSTARD GAS while trying to concoct a new flavour
Workers at Sipsmith distillery were trying to make mustard flavoured gin
Staff called incident a ‘near disaster’ and the flavour will not be made again
Mustard gas is famous for use in World War One and can cause blindness
Source: Daily Mail
By Alex Matthews
16 January 2016
A group of hipster gin makers came close to creating chaos after they accidentally made mustard gas while trying to concoct a new flavour.
Workers from Sipsmith distillery, in Chiswick, west London, were attempting to create a mustard-flavoured drink but instead made the dangerous chemical agent, famous for its devastating use in World War One.
The firm, founded by Fairfax Hall, Sam Galsworthy and Jared Brown in 2009, evacuated its plant as soon as the blunder had been detected.
Kit Clancy, assistant distiller at Sipsmith, said: ‘There was a near disaster. What the guys actually produced was in effect mustard gas. The distillery was evacuated. That one wasn’t made again.’
Mustard gas, also known as sulfur mustard, causes itching of the skin which leads to scratching and the victim being covered in large puss filled blisters.
It can also cause temporary blindness as well as effecting the digestive tract which results in abdominal pain, diarrhea, fever and vomiting.
Often people recover from the effects of the gas but they can be left with disfigurements and respiratory problems later in life. Mustard gas has also been known to increase the chances of developing cancer.
Sipsmith boasts having the first copper gin still in 200 years and produces four different gins and two vodkas which are sold in supermarkets and bars.
The firm’s drinks have received praise from critics and punters alike and tours are held for people to look around their distillery.
However, they will no doubt think before they spread their creative wings in the future because otherwise they might leave their guests with a bit more than a hangover.