Dram Shop Expert

Litigation Support and Expert Witness Services

Reporting suspected drink spiking to a venue 

Reporting suspected drink spiking to a venue 


Alcohol education charity Drinkaware warns that drinks spiked with alcohol or drugs can make a person seriously vulnerable, and that spiking someone’s drink carries a maximum of a 10-year prison sentence in the UK.

According to the charity, symptoms of drink spiking include lowered inhibitions, loss of balance, feeling sleep, visual problems, confusion, nausea, vomiting and unconsciousness — but these will depend on ‘lots of factors’ such as the substance(s) used, your size and weight, and how much alcohol you’ve already consumed.

In an advice section on its website, it says: “Reporting suspected drink spiking to a venue and the police is one way to ensure enough steps are being taken to keep people safe.”

Drinkaware also explains that there are a number of things you can do if you think someone has had their drink spiked, including:

  • Tell a bar manager, bouncer or member of staff
  • Stay with them and keep talking to them
  • Call an ambulance if their condition deteriorates
  • Don’t let them go home on their own
  • Don’t let them leave with someone you don’t know or trust
  • Don’t let them drink more alcohol — this could lead to more serious problems